The Orenda Startup Barrel™
Components and Assembly
Note: We have discontinued the Platform (ORE-50-10301). We now only offer the 55 and 30-gallon Startup Barrels with fittings.
This procedure only covers how to set up the Orenda Startup Barrel™. Click here for the step-by-step Orenda Startup™ procedure.
Related: How to Implement the Orenda Program
Included with the Startup Barrel Kit (no platform) ORE-50-1030
- 55 or 30-gallon LDPE barrel (and lid)
- Basic fittings kit
- 3/4" brass spigot
- 3/4" to 1" threaded bushing
- 1" male threaded 90º to 1" female slip
- 1.5" male threaded plug
- 1.5" male threaded barbed 90ª
- Waterproofing (teflon) tape
- 1.5" pool vacuum hose
- 2" hose clamp
- 1" PVC pipe (cut to size to insert into 90º slip inside barrel)
- Clean garden hose
- Plastic tarp
- Cloth or sock
- Empty bottle (float)
- Startup chemicals
Tools and other suppliesWe strongly recommend having a pair of channel locks able to unscrew the 1.5" drain plug at the bottom of the barrel when the startup is complete. Also, to tighten the hose clamp that secures the vacuum hose to the barbed fitting, you need a screwdriver or socket wrench.
We suggest assembling the fittings prior to going to the job site. Make sure you have a complete kit. For all threaded connections, use waterproofing (teflon) tape.
- The 1.5" barbed 90º threads into the 1.5" hole at the top of the barrel, on the outside of the barrel.
- The 1.5" plug threads into the hole at the bottom of the barrel.
- The 1" 90º to female slip threads into the top 1" hole inside the barrel, facing the slip down.
- The 1" threaded hole at the top of the barrel connects to:
- The brass spigot + adapter bushing
For setup and use instructions, read our startup procedure page.